I only got chance to watch a handful of these pilot shows myself, but here are my thoughts on the third one – Those Who Can’t.
Those Who Can’t follows the silly and childish antics of three juvenile teachers at a high school who are not only more immature than the students they teach but also more concerned about getting them back with revenge pranks than providing them with a good education. As is usually the case with revenge pranks, they will likely get more and more extreme and out of hand the longer they go on – assuming we get more episodes?
This show is not going to be for everyone, but if you like silly comedies or have a “Funny or Die” sort of sense of humour then this show should be right up your street.
What do I like about the show?
- Very funny, just my kind of humour
- Good characters overall
- I like the dynamic between the main teachers; I love how immature they are… they’re as bad as the kids and that’s great
- The librarian character could add something good to the show
- I love the dinner lady – she’s far to hot to be working there – lets see something of her in every episode
- Generally good writing with funny dialogue
- With a bit more budget and higher production values this show could be a winner
- I would definitely like to see more of this show
- Oh yeah, and the opening credits are funny – especially the bog wash!
What do I like least about the show?
- The production values are a little on the low side – it feels low budget, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing – for webisodes it would be fine, but for TV it needs a bit more budget and a bit more polish
- It’s verging on Funny or Die territory – again, not necessarily a bad thing, but it could be improved slightly
- The school principle – I don’t really buy into the fact that he is the principle, he doesn’t look the part at all. It’s all about the way he looks and dresses though, I was fine with everything he said and did in the episode and he can be a funny character – but I just didn’t like the way he looked. Sort the hair and beard out and dress him in a suit and that might work. Maybe he needs a comb-over?
- A little unsure about one of the teachers being so covered in tattoos, but I guess it sort of works as part of the story.
Overall, I liked this show and would like to see more. Hopefully we can see the students giving the teachers more hard times so they always have a good reason to get some kind of revenge on the students.
About the Author: Chris Russell has a passion for movies, films and TV shows and loves to share that passion here on Movie Retrospect where readers can join the discussion in the comments below or directly to Chris though his Google+ profile. If you enjoyed this post, please follow @MovieRetrospect on Twitter.